Search This Blog

Friday, June 5, 2009

Field Trip - La Brea Tar Pits


Click on photo for link

We didn't go to the Tar Pits this week, we went a little while ago but it's worth a mention since we are talking about Dinosaurs.

ADMISSION:
Adults $7
Children under 5 are FREE
5-12 is $2
13-17-$4.50
PARKING $6

I grew up going to this place on school field trips. If you haven't heard of it, let me tell you a little bit about it. The Tar Pits say,"Rancho La Brea is one of the world’s most famous fossil localities, recognized for having the largest and most diverse assemblage of extinct Ice Age plants and animals in the world." - that's funny, because I thought Laguna Hills had that covered. Someone's lying... ACTUALLY they're not because there have been NO dinosaurs discovered at the Tar Pits. Most people think that's what it's all about but it's not. Surprise you? It sure as HECK did me. I grew up going there and always thought there were Dinos there... I wonder why...Go figure.

BUT it's not to be dismissed. There's much to learn there! You can see the tar pits and excavation that is still going on. You can watch as they as do whatever it is they do with the bones and fossils, and a movie to watch and learn about how it was there during the ice age.

The entrance price makes the visit well worth it. It's different and you can expect to learn a lot.


FOR MORE DINOSAUR THEMED LINKS CHECK OUT THESE LABELS:
THEME/SCHOOL BOX- Our planned curriculum for the week
CRAFTivities -A photo walk through of our week
FIELD TRIP- Theme related outings in Orange County, CA





5 JUICY LOVE NOTES:

Unknown said...

Stopping by from SITS to say hello!! If I didn't live across the country it sounds like a cool place to visit lol...hope you'll swing by my place!

Ticia said...

I haven't had a chance to write it yet :).

Alicia said...

UGH! Nor cal sucks!! I miss so cal so bad, there was so much more to do!! My kids would love all the places you've been going! Jealous.... i'm totally jealous.... how'd the hair turn out?

Ticia said...

Mostly. My throaght is still killing me, and I'm weak, but it's getting better.

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

Sounds like fun! Great deal for kids 5 and under to get in free. I love educational trips like that!

 
Custom Blog Design for Orange Juice by April Showers Blog Design