Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Non Cookie Cutter Lunch! Tot Food- Mediterranean-ish Meal

Well, I thought I would pull out an old recipe that I made up about 7 years ago but haven't made in about 2 years. I wanted to eat something a little more healthy than what we have been eating lately and I thought it would be a great opportunity to expose Zorro to some new foods. I don't want to be stuck in a rut and I don't want Z to be one of those picky little monsters that wont try anything because he ate the same things all the time. OK well maybe I can't control it totally but whatever!

Mediterranean Chicken Salad with Whole Wheat Pita, Matzo Ball Soup and Pineapple (not shown)

This is a chicken "salad" (not chicken salad with mayo ew!) with a chicken breast. I pan cooked with lemon pepper then shredded. I made couscous, added feta cheese, walnuts, lettuce, a little bit of olive oil and balsamic vinegar then stuffed it into whole wheat pita halves (for the adults). For Zorro, I gave him a bit of the Mediterranean salad separately mostly with just chicken and lettuce. Then I gave him the other elements of the salad in separate little compartments on his plate to try them individually, and I cut the pits into wedges. No stuffing for him or it would be all over the floor. I also gave him a little matzo ball soup and after we ate left a huge bowl of freshly cut pineapple out which he totally snarfed!

He LOVED the feta! And he was "dipping" the pita into the couscous. He ate pretty well, didn't complain or freak out which often he will if it's not pleasing to his sight.

The best part was I was able to completely avoid the pleas for candy. He was so happy with the pineapple he didn't attack me with the never ending chorus of "I want candy" (thank his aunts for that!).

OK so it's one meal, but it's a start!

0 JUICY LOVE NOTES:

 
Custom Blog Design for Orange Juice by April Showers Blog Design