Search This Blog

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Oh they GRAY is killing me!!!!!!!!!!!

I need to preface this...so please read this. I am NOT being overly dramatic and I am NOT making it seem worse than it is! If you don't believe me ASK MY DAD- I blame him.

I'm nearly 28 and a good 1/4 of my hair is GRAY. Yes, you hear right! YES it's true. I've been an avid highlighter/dyer for over 10 years so I didn't see this coming.

It's not a HUGE surprise. I have had a comment here and there when I went in to get my hair done by my stylist who would ever so loving me say, "Wow you have a lot of gray under there" no I'm not joking or, "I can't believe how much gray is there." Sad but TRUE. Of course I was oblivious until these comments slapped in the face, and I got my hair done enough that I just didn't really have the pleasure of seeing it. So I never really cared too much about it.

Well FAST FORWARD to Law School. We live 100% off of student loans, yes we do. So, getting my hair done is an almost non existent luxury. I've paid to get my hair done all of 1 time in over 2 years. My SIL who lives in AZ would do it for me when I see her (once a year...) so in all I've had my hair done about 4 times in 2 years. Now you think that might now be so bad... Well, my hair grows fast and if I want to keep it up I need to do it at LEAST 4 times a year (and that's pushing it).

So back to the gray.... 2 years later with a failing economy and student loans getting more difficult to get hair is just not happening.

A few months ago about 2 months after my last hair fix by my SIL (now 6-7 months ago) I look in the mirror and think, "GUY those roots are starting to show. Good think I have highlights so people will think the grays are part of the highlights." A few minutes later (I KID YOU NOT!!!) my friend comes up to me after not seeing me for a year and says, "You're sure getting a lot of GRAY" WTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A GUY! A MAN! A-NOT-TOO-FASHION-FORWARD-GUY-WHO -SHOULDN'T-EVEN-NOTICE-THOSE-THINGS NOTICED!!!!!!!!!!! BLAM! That went to gut. This was only 2-3 months after my hair started growing out.


So you ask, "Kristi, WHY DON'T YOU GET YOURSELF A FREAKING BOTTLE OF HAIR DYE THEN?!?"

So I tell you, "BECAUSE I HAVE HIGHLIGHTS! BECAUSE DRUGSTORE HAIR DYE SUCKS! BECAUSE I ALSO HAVE A LOT OF BLONDE AND I AM NOT GOING TO LIGHTEN MY OWN HAIR!!!! That's why."

So, since I am an Esthetician, I can buy the really good professional stuff at Cosmo Prof or Maly's or whatever and I can dye my hair similar to my natural color. But there's a block. I don't mind going brown so much but I will really miss the highlights. Really, highlights look awesome on me. They totally brighten my face. UGH...so here's my choices:

1. Gray with highlights

2. Brown with brown

sigh................... looks like I'm going dye shopping.

Feel free to feel bad for me. LOL

1 JUICY LOVE NOTES:

Alicia said...

Oh!! I'm sure brown will look amazing!! if it makes you feel any better sometime during my 2nd pregnancy i developed an allergy to hair dye....but i still dye it..and it burns so bad, but it looks sooo good! the things we women go through to look good....sigh...

 
Custom Blog Design for Orange Juice by April Showers Blog Design